In 1815 Mary Aikenhead founded the Sisters of Charity in Ireland. Their ministry was to serve the poor in their homes and especially those who were sick.
In 1838, the first Sisters of Charity arrived in Australia to offer care and assistance to female prisoners in Parramatta, New South Wales. From these beginnings the Sisters of Charity continued to provide care, hope, dignity and meaningful assistance in schools, hospitals, prisons and social welfare activities in the wider community.
In responding to the emerging needs of the poor and marginalised, the Sisters of Charity wanted to create long-term solutions and find the best ideas that would have the greatest impact. This included founding St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney in 1857.
The driving force for their ministry is their motto:
The love of Christ impels us.
Sisters of Charity Foundation – legacy of compassion
In order to sustain the legacy of compassion that the Sisters of Charity have administered in Australia for more than 175 years, the Sisters of Charity Foundation was founded in 2000.
From the Sisters of Charity’s beginnings in Australia helping female prisoners in Parramatta, many of whose children lived in out of home care, the Foundation helps today’s young people who have lived in out of home care.
The Foundation also continues their legacy in providing hope, dignity and meaningful assistance to those who receive little or no funding from other sources by giving grants to worthy causes and supporting the Asylum Seekers Centre.